- This event has passed.
Learning for Living – Relationships
February 4, 2017 @ 1:30 pm - 3:30 pm
One event on February 11, 2017 at 1:30 pm
One event on February 18, 2017 at 1:30 pm
One event on February 25, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Learning how to make friends can be both a challenging and rewarding experience. Friends provide emotional support, teach us new things about the world, and make life easier in general. During this installment of the “Learning for Living” series, facilitator Cynde Vaughn, MSW will provide appropriate education and support to ensure that young people with IDD learn how to integrate themselves in the community, avoid exploitive relationships, and expand their social circle.
Learn how to:
- Deal with anxiety in social situations.
- Understand the difference between close friends vs. social friends.
- Be yourself around others without feeling embarrassed.
- Make small talk and get to know new people.
- Gauge body language and read social cues.
- Be a good friend – develop long-term relationships, trust, and bonds.
- Recognize exploitation, set boundaries, and end a relationship if appropriate.
Plan a Party!!: Participants will apply what they learn in class, establish a theme, create a budget, plan entertainment, and ultimately host a party for their friends!!